There is really a lot of room under those brakes.  On my 76 Raleigh with
the same brakes, I had a pair of 42mm shorties to keep the brakes clean,
and could clear (and cover) 1-3/8"  cross tires.  Even 36mm Honjos should
clear 1-1/4" tires, but may not have the coverage you would like.  You
could fit 42mm Honjos and easily clear and cover 1-1/4" tires.  Honjos also
attach perfectly to this style frame - they are copies of the French
fenders that were made for this bike.