Taiwan, like many places, has a wide variety of manufacturers. Some produce
wonderful quality, others focus more on price. You need to make parts where
the knowledge and machinery exists to make those parts. For example, I
cannot think of a single forged square-taper crank that has been made in
the U.S., ever. So we knew that unless we wanted to build an entire new
industry, we couldn't have our new René Herse cranks made here.

Our engineer spent months visiting every factory in Taiwan to get an
impression of what they were capable of doing, before choosing our current
supplier of the raw forgings. They also make parts for Ducati motorcycles
and other high-end brands. Of course, they are more expensive than others,
but to us, the quality is worth it.

Jan Heine
Compass Bicycles Ltd.
http://www.compasscycle.com