Patrick,
Sorry for being late.
I'm trying to write about packing bike, but it's hard to describe about
bicycle (even in Japanese), and I have no idea when I can finish it.

Meanwhile, you might read the following article, in which a friend of mine
has written in his blog about packing his bike.
It's written in Japanese, but photos will give you an idea.
http://cycling451.blogzine.jp/blog/2009/11/post_1175.html
His bike has small wheels, but it's not a folding bike, so packing it is
not different from regular bike.
I remove fork from frame, but he doesn't, which allows him to pack quickly
(less than 10 minutes), but he cannot pack his bike as small as mine.

But you had better contact railroad companies first, since some companies
allow bicycle with minimal disassembling, as Jim points out.
Or not disassembling at all, as seen in "Rivendell People" video. (Starting
at 22:00)
http://vimeo.com/57271334

Takashi