I'll second what John has to say about Amtrak.

Note that the Coast Starlight and all other amtrak long-distance trains (as
far as I can remember) still requires you to box your bicycles for
transport. The Cascades service trains (numbering in the 500s) have
built-in bike racks in the baggage cars where the attendant will hang bikes
by the front wheel, making getting on and off far easier.

So it might make sense to ride to a larger city you intend on returning to
(Portland or Seattle), spending a few hours exploring, and catching local
Cascades service to wherever you want to get closer to. At fares hovering
around $20-$30, it's stupid cheap.

Like Andy said, let us know when you're in PDX! We'll send you back south
drunk, fat, and happy, in that order.

Cheers

cc