San Luis Obispo is central to lots of great cycling, and is accessible to
all.  It's generally considered mid-way between LA & San Francisco.  If
this is unknown territory for some, all the better!  Camping?  San Simeon,
Morro Bay, Montana de Oro.  Plenty of lodging choices plus tons of good
coffee places in SLO itself as well as outlying areas.  In Templeton is the
Bike Lane Inn, a small B&B run by  a couple who have been touring for
decades and have an inventory of routes around the area.

Manny, this is the best idea you've had, and you get some pretty
interesting ones!  I like it a lot.

dougP