On Sun, 2013-06-09 at 12:07 -0700, cyclotourist wrote:
> Any suggestions? These things are a bear (and no maiden fair). I'm
> just about ready to give up as I can get them mounted, but can't get a
> tube inside. I'm currently hoping they stretch/take shape a little bit
> on the rim if I leave there for a while, but don't have a lot of hope.
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/cyclotourist/8999429698/in/photostream/

My experience is with Parigi-Roubaix, but they're the same thing, only
narrower.

A used tire mounts easily and can be removed without tools.  A new tire
is another story.

I decided to pre-stretch the tire on an old wheel I had around in the
shed.  It was extremely difficult getting the first bead on at all.  I
had to use tire levers to wedge it on, and a toe strap to hold my gains.
I then installed the other side without a tube using tire levers and let
the tire sit for a couple of days.  A little spray on the inside of the
bead with Windex helped get the last bit over.

After that initial stretching period, I removed one side and installed a
narrow 700x23 tube, then remounted the tire (challenging, but nothing
like the first time, and again a little spritz with Windex helped) and
inflated the tube.

After a week or so I found I needed to mount the tire on a wheel that's
actually used on the bike.  It mounted with a little difficulty, but
nothing I'd write a list posting about.

In my opinion, pre-stretching is the way to go with these Challenge
tires.