The Medium has this flap, too and I agree, it's a great design addition.
I've overstuffed my Medium so that outer and inner flaps barely meet, but
as long as you can get a strap to hold the outer flap in place over the
inner one -- either the stock ones or a carry-along (I use an Irish) you
can practically double the load of the M.

But the Medium (the largest I'd want for my purposes) is too small in the
opening and too flat in height to be a true alternative to a good pannier.

I will add though that in my considerable experience, the M is certainly
the best no-rack saddlebag I've owned and, with careful packing (and that's
the rub) can carry almost as much as a single Ortlieb Packer.

patrickmo...@resumespecialties.com

Albuquerque, NM