I've had a Nexus 8 which I used for commuting, my son uses one, I currently
have a Nuvinci N360 on my city bike.  Having used them in town a lot, and
having ridden thousands of miles of self-supported tours over the past 40
years, I can say I would never use an IGH for a self supported tour.  Too
many things have happened on the road and I want to be able to fix it when
it does.  I would not want to be in SW Butheadistan when the "black box"
broke.  I've even heard of it happening to people using Rohloff hubs.  I
keep the IGH local and use traditional exposed gearing out on tours.

Marc