When the bike is loaded up and heavy, it can sometimes be easier to
maintain balance on poor road surfaces by riding the bike.  When pushing
the bike, one has to be off to one side or other and that can mean using a
lot of upper body strength to control the bicycle (careful of the back).
Meaning that when pushing  a steep climb over rough ground, it can be hard
to maintain balance and footing.  This generally falls under the heading of
expedition touring and for that the Alfine is probably not a great choice.
 But for most general touring, I'd have to agree that that a person can
make the Alfine work reasonably well.  It wouldn't be my choice though - I
value a wide gear range for touring.