BSWP--Andrew--says it well: the two kinds of two-wheelers complement each
other.  Besides my Sam, Heron Touring, Bridgestone RB-T and XO-1, I ride a
2010 BMW F650GS (the detuned version of the 800 twin); I've been happy on
an F650 single before that, and a '94 K75S, the smooooothest triple I've
ever tried.  I'd like to try one of those Moto Guzzi V7s, Ted: light and
relatively simple, as you say, amid today's powerful and heavy motorcycles.
 And FWIW, my wife got me *into* motorcycling!  --Tom