@Peter - thanks for the tips.  I am not so handy, and I live in Zurich, the
most expensive city in the world ... so multiply all of those figures by
2.5 and you'll be back at almost 90, shipped ;)

@Joe - Thanks for the info.  I think I have some Wald basket hardware lying
around, but I have been averse to mounting anything on my handlebars as I
like to keep it clean.  This is also why I was wondering if I should
instead put the basket on a rack.  Also, not sure if my fork has lawyer
lips... doesn't look like
it<http://www.flickr.com/photos/sumehra/5594285268/in/set-72157626345789636/>
.