My wife on her Betty uses a Mark's mini with a medium Wald basket and it works
fine for the light loads she rides with. I on the other hand have the same
basket but attached to a Gomah porteur rack. This works extremely well for me
and I can carry quite a bit. My bike is not a Riv so handling might be
different for those on Riv's, but barely noticeable until it hits 15 pounds and
more. With the weight I carry I can ride no hands with no ill effect on the
steering.

To the OP, I saw your photos with the Wald but as someone else already said,
having the weight lower would help tremendously. As much as I like the crates,
I would be concerned with total weight of the bike.  I would definitely go with
a front rack and then attaching whatever you want.