Most interesting.  I have a '98 LongLow that has the canti bosses, but can
accept long reach side pulls as well.  It has Tektro CR720 cantis on it and
with a nice wide fender, pretty sure I could squeeze actual 37mm tires
under there (might be too close for comfort).  Certainly actual 35mm tires
with the current SKS fenders on there would be fine.  Mine was built by Joe
Starck and painted by Joe Bell, so certainly one of a small batch of frames
and mine might have slight differences in terms of clearance to another
canti LongLow.  It certainly does seem to be something of a beautiful
prototype for the move to Japan and Toyo for the higher production
Rambouillet.  Now there is production in USA, Japan and Taiwan for the
Rivendell models.

So there could be considered an onshore/offshore lineage (USA or Japan and
Taiwan) as well as a distinction between individual builders (Starck,
Goodrich) and company builders such as Waterford. But, no matter where or
who has made the frames or when they were made, the quality and finish
seems to have been maintained at a super high standard.

Certainly for me,  the most obvious progression of design has centered
around tire clearances and side pull brakes - the whole range of models
except the Rodeo will accept relatively wide tires with side pull brakes
and fenders (38mm plus tires).  The Atlantis which dated from 1999.75
always had a lot of clearance, yet an impressively low Q factor.  Of
course, it uses cantis, but this seems to have been a design that has yet
to be surpassed.  I think the perfect compliment to my LL would be a 26"
wheel Atlantis (56cm frame).

But, there are so many design innovations that have made the bikes more and
more practical with each new model.  Braze ons to accommodate specific
racks, centre stand plates etc.  And there are design features that are
almost obvious by omission, such as dynamo lighting wiring guides, which
would probably detract from the aesthetic approach to the Rivendell design
philosophy.

If stopped by a stranger/friend and quizzed about one's Rivendell (or
Rivendale - why is that?) it's probably best to sum it up as "an excellent
all-rounder with an easily adjustable 1" quill stem, enough room for wide
tires and fittings for fenders, built to a high standard of workmanship and
with a great paint finish".  Then change the subject, or you'll be there
all-night.