Whoops, I just reread the posting, where the lock nut is spinning out.  In
this case, it may be that the thread is stripped on the axle.  Worth
disassembling the pedal and examining.  If the axle thread is stripped, it
may be possible to find another compatible axle in a used parts bin at the
LBS.  To disassemble and rebuild the pedal is fairly straightforward, but
relatively fiddly work.