Just took possession of a new Surly Trucker Deluxe which I had Harris
Cyclery build up with a mix of Riv-ish and otherwise practical parts
(moustache bars, silver shifters, the new IRD 8 speed cassette mated to an
XT 44-32-22 crank), and while I don't have yet the tools, couplers, travel
case, or technical ability to break it apart for travel, I'm itching to get
out there and use it.  Have a week off coming up and nothing planned, so I
bought a spur of the moment ticket to SFO on Virgin, which claims to let
bikes under 23 kg fly for free (it's nothing near a weight weenie build,
but I think I'm safe).  The plan is, put the bike on the plane in a nashbar
travel bag, and then put the bag into storage and cycle from the airport to
the Golden Gate bridge with a special focus on staying alive in city
traffic, then hit a mix of road and trails once over the bridge.  Tentative
itinerary is to head up Mt. Tam and stay at the West Point Inn on the 12th,
up the Bolinas Ridge to Olema and back down to Wildcat campground on 13th,
and then down to the headlands and Hawk campground on the 14th (have
confirmed that the first two have availability, have to call to see about
Hawk but my sense is that fall weekdays are not peak period for camping in
Marin).  I'm taking on the red eye back to Boston the night of the 15th, so
plan to slowly make my way back to the airport over the course of the last
day.  I know there's people here with more experience in Marin, so I'm open
to suggestions on route, and if anyone wants to join for part or all of the
ride, I'd welcome the company ( be advised, though, am fat and slow).