Sweet looking bike Tim, although I'm not sure what this thing you call Fall
is.  Here in Vt we have had a week of hi winds and low chill factors.

As for 650B, I would recommend going for it.  I bought a new-to-me Saluki
with Pari-Motos last Spring and have fallen in love with it.  So much so
that I repainted my old Trek 620 and converted it.  All you would need is
new wheels (or just rims & spokes) and brakes.  You would not regret it.

Michael