"performance" is relative to the Each person ...

I am one who finds all wool itchy, even the finest of the fine merino. It's
animal fur ... lol .. no matter how it's marketed .

Some say synthetics "cause" one to sweat . I think this is perception. I
sweat just the same in anything ... it's just wool absorbs it some and
synthetics do not.  There are pros/cons to this. For me synthetics may feel
clammy for awhile, but they dry very very fast. Wools do not feel so
clammy, but  they take a comparatively much longer time to dry .  Apples
and oranges. Sweating is sweating .

I also find the "crew" cut wool shirts to be too tight around the neck.
This is a personal thing.  Synthetics offer a comparatively huge selection
of brands and cuts. My favorite being Craft Pro tops. they are a rib knit,
with natural stretch. Liberal length !  No lycra rubber , which is one
reason so many complain about smell. Lycra to me has zero place in such
tops, it's a Cheap" way to get stretchy and snugger fitting shirts. Craft
does it by nature of the fabric weave.

As far as cold riding  ..... I stopped riding in the cold. I really don't
enjoy it even below 50.  Gotta be honest with myself. It's just no fun for
and never was. Summer is divine ,and that's that. Shorts and t's   :)