The type of pad with a threaded stud, spacers, and spherical washers that
clamps a vertical track on the brake arm was originally introduced on
V-brakes, so these pads are commonly referred to as "v-brake style" pads
now, even when they are used on other brakes, which may account for the
confusing description on Paul's site.  There is nothing which makes these
pads canti or v-brake specific (i.e. any "v-brake" pad would also work in a
centerpull cantilever brake that uses the same hardware and vice versa).
Paul also uses them on their caliper brakes.

Prior to the introduction of v-brakes, most cantilever brakes used pads
with a smooth (i.e. unthreaded) stud that was clamped by an eyebolt through
the brake arm at 90 deg to the stud, and some current production brakes
based on older designs still use this old style (not Paul's, however).

IMHO, the switch to the threaded stud pads on cantilever brakes accounts
for a vast improvement in ease of adjustment over their older
counterparts.  Smooth stud cantis are a PITA.