> Leave some extra length in cable runs and don't finish off handlebars.
> Ride it for a while like that and once satisfied with handlebar/stem, come
> back for final trim tape, etc.
>
> • Perry

I need a sign taped to the top tube reading LEAVE HOUSING LONG every time
I'm in an eager rush to finish a build. The surest way to guarantee I'll
want to play with bar height is to get the cables and tape perfect
beforehand.

I also keep an old set of longish brake and shifter cables for this express
purpose. When everything's copacetic, I swap in the newies. I can't stand
seeing even a hint of crimped cable before or after the bolt.

I try to never stay on one particularly troublesome task for more than
three failed attempts or 30 minutes without taking a quick break. When I
return, the issues are often illuminated like moonlight reflected in the
falling tide. Or I've just grabbed a beer and a hammer.

And I'll gladly trade three correct, purpose-built tools for one ancient,
half empty tub of Phil Hand Cleaner.

Jeff Hagedorn
Warragul, VIC Australia