I can attest that so far it's working fine with 170 cranks, and without
putting on the 38mm tires I bought.  I didn't scrape on a uturn on a narrow
road while pedaling, and I would never pedal on a corner with a lot of bike
lean in it.  So I think it's fine so long as you're mindful of what you're
doing, and clearly anyone who would convert their bike to 650b is probably
very mindful of what they're doing.

A 650b conversion not something that you could just go down to your local
LBS and ask them to do without getting a few blank stares.  Well if they're
not of the Rivendell mindset anyway ;)

On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 9:46 AM, Jim Cloud <cloud...@aol.com> wrote:

> As the site that you reference indicates, Rivendells with a 8 cm (80mm)
> drop and 325mm radius tires only have a bottom bracket clearance of 9 1/2 "
> - "which is very low for anything longer than probably 155mm cranks":.
>
> Tim's post indicates that his bike doesn't have clearance for tires larger
> than 650Bx38mm, this is probably the same for my bike and most other early
> Rivendell Road Standard bikes with a 80mm drop bottom bracket.  In my
> opinion, the success of a 650B conversion with these bikes would be
> conditional on the length of the crank arms (and choice of tires).
> Anything more than 170mm is probably not very advisable, and perhaps 165mm
> would be a better option.  The largest radius tires that will fit between
> the chainstays ( approximately 38mm) would also be more practical.
>
> Most of the 700c conversions to 650B are bikes that had bottom bracket
> drops of 65mm-70mm.  Obviously, when Grant originally designed the
> Waterford era Rivendell Road Standards he was biased to a lower bottom
> bracket which he preferred for handling.  The bikes were never envisioned
> for a 650B conversion (obviously, since the French 650B tire was almost
> defunct in that period).  I still think a Rivendell Road Standard
> conversion is possible and may provide satisfaction to the owner, but
> clearance of the pedals may be an issue for care while cycling (pedaling
> through a tight curve is probably not advisable).
>
> Jim
>

> On Sunday, November 24, 2013 8:04:52 PM UTC-7, Steve Palincsar wrote:
>>
>> On 11/24/2013 09:12 PM, Jim Cloud wrote:
>> > The early models of the Rivendell Road were designed for a 700x28c
>> > tire size,  I don't believe you would be able to fit a 650x42b size
>> > tire between the chainstays of those particular bikes (I also own an
>> > original 1996 model of the Road Standard).
>>
>> Don't know about a 42mm tire, but the waterford-era Riv Road is on the
>> list of known-to-work conversions on the freewebs 650B site:
>> http://650b.webs.com/conversions.htm<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2F650b.webs.com%2Fconversions.htm&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNGfi1Sg4paiAMA-f6lOCQvPr7fv4w>
>>

>>  --

Keep the metal side up and the rubber side down!