What works for me:

   1. Grant and Co.'s business ethics.  I like that he employs 15 folks
   honestly and tries to give back to good causes.  He tries to educate in
   areas we all may need some help in (food/exercise), and he doesn't fit in
   the "maximize efficiency and shareholder value" business model.  He runs
   the kind of business I would be proud to have someday.
   2. Common sense stuff like don't wear race kit and clipless shoes when
   you are not racing.  I really like the grippy VP pedals of late, and I am a
   long-time clipless rider who enjoys the control of being "locked in".  I
   just found I don't need it when I'm commuting in.
   3. Steel, lugged goodness.  I like the feel of steel.  Always will.
   4. Pretty bikes.  Rivendell bikes just look classy compared to most
   modern bikes.  They always draw comments.
   5. Wool.  Was already clued into this stuff, but I love wool and will
   wear it every day at some point.
   6. Comfort.  If you love being on a bike, at some point you will want to
   be comfortable doing it.
   7. No blinky lights.  I think they suck to ride behind, and blinking
   front lights are beyond me.  Please use the blinkies only when you are
   alone on a deserted country street in the middle of the night.
   8. Helmets - I think this is the biggest deterrent to having more folks
   on bikes.  It may be vain, but things that mess up folks hair or make them
   feel vulnerable will keep them away.  Wear them when you need them, but
   don't make it a law.
   9. Use what works - don't get crazy about the components.  Campy/DuraAce
   is cool, but not critical.
   10. MUSA - I like USA-made gear.  I also like quality from other
   countries if it's truly good.
   11. Limited selection of great, hand-picked gear.  Riv really picks some
   great product to sell.  I generally love their taste in goods.
   12. Sackville bags.  Hands-down, the best looking and built bags I've
   used.
   13. Basket/ShopSack.  So useful and simple!

What doesn't work for me:

   1. Heavy/big bikes.  I appreciate 'em, but would rather have a
   Roadeo-tubed bike than a Bomba.  I like lively.
   2. Front load on mid-high-trail.  I don't like the wheel flop, but if
   you use a wide-enough bar (Albastaches are awesome), riding with a front
   load is not too bad.  On a narrow bar, long ride, I would prefer less work
   to keep the bike going straight.  This is something that has taken me a few
   years to realize I finally have a feel for.
   3. Heavy tires.  I like 'em light, and cushy.  Jack Brown Greens are
   the business.  GB Cypres are even better!

Brian Hanson
Seattle, WA
www.stonehog.com