I really like the 40/15 on the Quickbeam for fixed riding, but I've been
using a 44t ring with a 15t and a 17/21 dingle cog pretty happily, too. In
your position I'd change the cheapest part to raise the gear to ~72". A 15t
cog will move your axle back 1/8", and a 44t ring would move it forward a
half inch. Adding a link to your chain would move the axle back again by
1/2". I'd probably get a 44t ring and add a link to the chain, because
bigger rings wear slower, in theory.
If I had the $$ and wanted to coast, I'd buy a Rivendell 43t ring and a
White Industries Dos Eno (16/19?) freewheel.
http://www.rivbike.com/product-p/fw2.htm

Philip
www.biketinker.com