I've been playing around with this old Trek MTB.  It's a 57cm with the 55mm
Big Apples on it.  I never thought I would be comfortable (psychologically)
riding a bike this big but on pavement I feel quite secure and
comfortable.  I still would not want to take it on any kind of rough
service where quick dismounting might be needed.  I basically have no
standover.   My experience is that a tall bike with 26" wheels only looks
strange if it has narrow-ish tires on it.  Check out the LHT on Surly's
main frame page.  That is a weird looking bike.

<https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-XsM5t6zBuc8/Useiqvga93I/AAAAAAAAAA4/_bbtTlVVdq0/s1600/IMG_1685.JPG>