There was a test like that in Bicycle Guide, and it was very poorly done.
There was only one tester, and he rode a bunch of bikes, each of them just
once. So there was no back-to-back comparison, no going back to firm up
impressions.

When we did a similar test, double blind, two of our testers could tell a
relatively small difference in tubing wall thickness (0.7-0.4-0.7 instead
of 0.9-0.6-0.9 mm) with 100% reliability. One tester could not. The tested
frames were all on the flexible end of the range you see today in bicycle
frames, so we didn't test a Surly LHT vs. an Alan or something like that.
The full test was published in *Bicycle Quarterly* Vol. 6, No.
4<http://www.bikequarterly.com/contents.html>,
but you can find some details here:

http://janheine.wordpress.com/2011/02/27/a-journey-of-discovery-part-5-frame-stiffness/

The conclusion is that small differences can be very noticeable. However, I
also doubt that you'd be able to tell a 20 g difference in tire weight.
Somebody who believes they can tell this difference should do a
double-blind test. It would be easy to do (you could just use some weights
on the inside of the rim, underneath the rim tape).

Jan Heine
Editor
Bicycle Quarterly
www.bikequarterly.com