Just a few weeks ago I I was coaxed into doing a SF Randonneur "Populaire"
ride . The rando/Riv Venn diagram has a healthy intersection, as I'm sure
you're well aware. I saw a repurposed mid-70's Raleigh International, fancy
paint, all the modern brazed bits.

Ah, the same International that I allowed myself to lust after for 5
minutes from the Raleigh catalog as a teenager. Knowing full well that I
could not afford it, I let my eyes peruse the next model down, the
Competition, which was still out of my budget. Flipping the page backwards,
the Gran Sport, with fully double butted 531 tubing was oh so close, but I
knew I could not save enough in time to get it before the Big Bike Trip I
had planned. I settled for the straight gauge 531, high tensile steel
fork'ed Super Course MkII, which I kept for the next 12 years before
selling it and upgrading to triathlon ready bicycles. 2 kids and 35 lbs
later, I started riding again. I now have a 3-speed upgraded to 8 speed
commuter bike. The one bike I held onto from pre-marriage days is a Bike
Friday New World Tourist.

Back to the Populaire. My childless buddy has a Rivendale. Actually, 2
including his Quickbeam. I saw some of the most beautiful bicycles I had
ever seen-you know those rando-types, it's about looking good and riding
far - which is what a Rivendale does for its owner. With 2 kids to get
through school, I really can't justify spending a ton of money on a bike.
I'm lucky that I bought my Bike Friday before I got married, so I've got
that odd little beast (the clown bike, as one of my buddies calls it). The
most time I'll ever get for a long haul of touring for the next 6 years
will be one, maybe two weeks, not enough to justify $5k. But I do see
myself doing more of these randonneur rides, maybe up to a 300k at some
time.

Love/hate relationship with the internet manifested: I found that a vintage
Raleigh International is an excellent starting point to make a fairly authentic
rando bike <http://www.flickr.com/photos/49353569@N00/5154235899/>. Five
Craigslist clicks later and I found this:
[image: Inline image 1]
I couldn't help myself. It was like getting a second chance to ask out that
girl in high school you couldn't get up the nerve to talk to.

I'll take ownership in a few days. I'm budget challenged, but any
spitballin' brainstormin' ideas of what I should do with it are appreciated
(no, you can't have it, it's mine!)