Great job asking hard questions! The school rides sound like a great start.

Cultivate contentment. A funny thing happens when I shift from being
frustrated with a situation to being content with the wonders and gifts I
have in that situation. I start to see options, ways and means, that had
not occurred to me before.

Are there parks in the area? Coffee shops? Bike rack and hit a remote dirt
road and explore? Take a wandering ride and explore down the hill a bit.
not all the way, but enough to wander. You might be surprised what you
discover from a bike that you miss from a car. Read Yehuda Moon and
Kickstand Cyclery: http://yehudamoon.com (he has a series on biking to
school you'll find all too true and hilarious).

There is abundance all around you, the challenge is to unwrap it even
though it looks different that what you would love it to be. Let us know
how you get on! Oh, and anything using your Rivendell is not abuse, it's
use, so no qualms from me on piling them all in a jumble in the back of
your van.

With abandon,
Patrick