Hi Mike,
I'm another Hunqapillar commuter (48cm.. so much smaller than yours would
be, and with 26" wheels). The Hunqapillar is no slug when riding unloaded
or lightly loaded (6 miles each way for the commute).

In fact, it feels much faster and more comfortable than my Surly Crosscheck.

I'm torn with selling my Crosscheck and moving full time on the Hunqapillar
through the salty winter commute. On the one hand, I don't want to beat it
up unnecessarily through the winter grit, but on the other hand, life's too
short not to ride the good bike.

If the component choice makes a difference to you, since you'll be moving
components from your Cannondale: which Riv frame(s) use the appropriate
brakes (canti vs side pull... with appropriate brake reach)?

Good luck-- This is not a bad problem to have.
Shoji