I am sure Jim knows well where of he speaks, so I count my wife and I as
very lucky to have gotten a used tandem that suits us fairly well for far
less than 5k, and through RBW no less.
What I don't get though, is why virtually no "enthusiastic" husbands seem
to let their wives drive. I can see over/around my wife better than she can
me, and I think she appreciates being able to drive more than I miss it. I
have read that there are tandem riding couples were the guy is the stoker,
but I have yet to see one on the road.