They shipped a copy of "The Bicycle Repair Book" by Van der Plas along with
my Riv when I bought it ten years ago.  It seems pretty comprehensive
(nothing like the Barnett's, of course), but I've actually rarely used it.
 I have found more value on the Web by looking things up in a discussion
forum or especially the massive amount of info that Sheldon Brown managed
to acquire and document electronically over the years.  For example, he
specifically the wedge/butt issue with stems you mention in one of his
discussions.