My evolution is pretty typical.

Started with newspaper delivery bikes: Worksman industrial plus big Wald
baskets front and back. Really useful, no-nonsense, bikes.

Moved to Raleighs: The Competition and their fabulous metric crit bike
(RRA) during college. Great bikes for bombing around town quickly.

The RRA's were rare, they look like this:  http://velospace.org/node/34182

Next up: semi-custom trail bike: 3D frame with XTR, Raceface, Chris King
bling...  good for woodsy adventures. I ended up putting slicks on it.

These days... #1 is a $10 garage sale special: Minty 1970 Motobecane
SuperMirage Mixte, racked and fendered. Has Suntour Command Thumbies :-)

I totally get where Grant's gone with the Cheviot. Love the long
chainstays. I'll have that before I go toes-up.

Will