Age 7-11: Schwinn Stingray, to school a few miles away, but most memories
of "ghost riding" it down the road, over ramps and jumps and over the same
jumps over the ditch in front of our house.
11-17: Diamond Back mountain bike. Most memorable ride was Fall River Road
in Rockey Mountain national park, where I lost brakes due to mud and
bailed, watching it fly over the edge (payback for ghost riding my previous
bike no doubt). I was bruised up, but the bike was fine except for a
slightly bent front big chain ring. Used a rock to bash it back into place.
17-2002: Cannondale Alum. touring bike. Skinny tires. Racing poser unable
to ride dirt. Toured Europe after high school like a lycra fool. Memories
include a century ride through London after which I was covered in soot
that felt an inch thick and didn't completely come off until we followed
the Seine River into Paris in 100˚F/100% humidity, but replaced it with
dead gnats, so maybe not. Then there was baulking like a chicken in the
middle of the just closed French grocery to ask for where the chicken soup
was, only to be dragged on the hard heels of my cycling cleats (in which I
walked like a chicken) to the eggs. Apparently I looked I'd just laid an
egg. Sardonic grin.
2003-200? Greenspeed recumbent trike until I discovered going barefoot and
running the trails was possible with vertigo and it was so remote and
wonderful I gave the trike to our godson's brother who has multiple
challenges, including walking.
2012-Present: RIvendell Hunqapillar and wondrous trail riding and
bikepacking to places nobody else goes. Glorious solitude! Fat tires are
beautiful, but I suspect I don't want to go fatter because of the bounce,
but I'll try that someday and see how we get along.

With abandon,
Patrick