More thanks and more questions.

Deacon: I tried the Stumptown method just now and, the coffee did not taste
sour, indeed it was very smooth, but weaker than what my Melita maker would
produce with the same amount (but finer) of grounds. Perhaps I should stir
it more than once, or perhaps I should let it steep a bit longer? Or use
more than the recommended 1 tbsp per cup?

I was pleased to see that the (good quality) blade grinder produced a
surprisingly uniform grind of  crumb sized grounds.

Chris: thanks for the carefully worded and informative analysis. I’ve read
the Wikipedia article but it is not as informative as these replies. The SM
site is useful, particularly about bean quantities. So, sourness comes
“before” bitterness – indicating that I wasn’t steeping efficiently enough.

Garth: good advice and information on the Moka Pot; I’ve actually got a
nice one. I’ve found the brew too “cloudy” and strong, but perhaps I need
to be more careful about the ratio of grounds to water – expect I’ve been
using quite a bit more than 1 tbsp to 1 cup when, probably, I ought to use
a bit less.

Sorry, my press won’t break – insulated stainless steel.

Mike: what is the essential difference between the Chemex and the Melita? I
think part of my problem with various makers has been over extraction:
excessively fine grind and too much beans, with the Moka Pot in particular,
producing a heavy, cloudy brew that seemed more bitter than strong.

The Aeropress is interesting because it is fast and allows one to dilute to
taste after making. But of course, if I get the method and quantities right
with the other methods, that won’t be necessary.

Question: when “they” advise 1 tbsp to 1 cup, does that mean “rounded” tbsp
– ie, as much as will heap on without falling off? Or level? And, is this a
measure of ground coffee or whole beans?

Off to make my second big cup with the press, stirred, not shaken.

Thanks again all.

--
Albuquerque, NM, USA

Resumes, LinkedIn profiles, and letters that get interviews.
Other professional writing services.
http://www.resumespecialties.com/