On Friday, March 14, 2014 9:25:49 AM UTC-7, Jim Bronson wrote:

> You can't make something fly just by making it light.

You are totally right. You cannot make a great tire just by making it
light, either.

Aircraft design, especially in the early days before prodigious horsepower
could lift even huge weights, was a careful balance of lightness and
strength. On bicycles, we still live in that age, because we cannot
increase the horsepower much. Even a professional racer puts out only
little more than a single horsepower, and not for long!

Back to tires, there are many factors that have to be considered. We could
make our tires lighter, but only at the expense of a greatly reduced
longevity. We'd gain very little in speed, so to me, the trade-off was not
worth it. The art lies in making the right compromises, and of course,
everybody will value different compromises depending on how they ride.
There is no "perfect" tire, but a variety of perfect tires optimized for
different riding styles.

Jan Heine
Editor
Bicycle Quarterly