Richard M. Heiberger wrote:
> Typo in the Setup Warning for RAndFriendsLight, RExcel
>
> and update all your Excel version to their latest service releases.
> should be
> and update all your Excel versions to their latest service releases.

corrected
> GGobi is not included as a checkbox option in R-2.8.0.  Since it is
> included on the opening Setup window, one of those needs to be
> changed.

corrected

> I am working on my desktop with Excel 2002.
>
> The RExcel installation is taking much longer than is justified.
> I think it has been running about 10 minutes with all the green bars
> filled in and with the Cancel button grayed out.
> After another 10 minutes, I attempted to kill the "Setup - RExcel" window.
> Not possible from the RED X.  So I killed RExcelInst3.0.5.tmp from the
> Task Manager.  It's CPU time has not moved since I started looking at it.

I cannot do anything about that.

> The installation continued with RAndExcelWorkbooks.  This installer opened
> a message box that says
>> R and Excel book files can not be installed while Excel is running.
>> Please close all insrtances of Excel before continuing with the installation.
>>
>> Click Cancel to completely abort installing RExcel.
>
> ---shouldn't it say
> Click Cancel to completely abort installing RAndExcel.
> ?

This is coming from RExcelInstaller
At that time, R is installed already.
It will also happen if you use RExcelInstaller on an existing R
installation.

> At this point I found Excel running.  It shows the message:
>   No RETURN() or HALT() function found on macro sheet.
> I clicked OK.
>
> The I clicked ok on the R and Excel.... message and the message came back.
> So I attempted to close Excel.  I clicked on Excel on the task bar.
> The message:
>    RExcel is configured now for Excel XP (2002)
> Then the Excel Recovery Pane message came up.  I told it to remove files.
> Excel is now closed.

This uis a local Excel problem. I cannot do anything here.

> I clicked again on the "R and Excel book files can not ..." message.
> The RAndExcel installation completed and the RAndFriendsLight installation
> completed.
>

> The RExcel with RCommander icon opens R-2.8.0.
> The book worksheets all work.
>

> The previous installers popped a message about a bug in RETURN and HALT.
> This one did not pop a message.  Instead it froze on detecting that the
> function
> wasn't there.

I never tested with 2002.
So I need to make this warning active for 2002 also.

--
Erich Neuwirth, University of Vienna
Faculty of Computer Science