In case someone else hast the similar problem:

First, the link on

http://mailman.csd.univie.ac.at/pipermail/rcom-l/2008-October/002383.html

is outdated, it should be

http://rcom.univie.ac.at/download/devel/R_Scilab_DCOM3.0-1B3beta.exe

or probably better try

http://rcom.univie.ac.at/download/devel

and check for the current release. Maybe this was corrected somewhere, but
it is easy to miss.

Suggestion: add a virtual link to "R_Scilab_DCOM3.0most_recent.exe"

Problem:
R 2.8.0 full working

Uninstalled DRCOM
Checked for an empty directory (D)RCOM.
Installed R_Scilab_DCOM3.0-1B3beta.exe

Run Simple.exe test. Works. Decided everything was fine, but it was not: all
non-character tests (e.g. polyline.exe) did not work, the dreaded "Method ~
of ~" error message came up.

Checked SET: noted that R_HOME was still on the old R.2.7.0 path. Corrected
that.
Everything seems to be working now (I did not check RExcel, because I do not
need it).

------- Summary: ---- Character Devices works with a bad R_HOME, others do
not.

Sorry for having bothered you on Sunday, Thomas.

Dieter