Dear fellow R(D)Com Users,

I am looking in to porting an application I have written in RExcel, R and rcom
to a web based app.
After some research I am currently favouring the approach of using ASP.Net with
C# to build the website and connect to R using R(D)Com using
the StatConnectorClass. I have carried out some basic tests and it seems to be
a reasonable and relatively simple way to implement my web app.

However, before jumping headlong into this architecture I thought I would
appeal to the rcom community for your opinions and
experiences in adopting this approach. Here are my questions thus far:

1) Does anyone think there is a better approach than the above for building a
web app with R?

2) Does anyone have any experiences in building a website with ASP.Net and
R(D)COM. If so were there any issues and was this approach successful?
Presumably R(D)Com deployed on a web server can cope with multiple users? i.e.
are there any potential conflict issues?

3) All the StatConnectorClass examples I have looked at on the web so far
initialise a StatConnectorClass using Init("R") and run
the associated R code in one go and the instance of the StatConnectorClass is
then disposed of.
For the purposes of my web app I would like to store a "global" instance of the
StatConnectorClass connector to my R session
which I can pass between my web controls (buttons, listboxes, etc).
The reason for this is that I want to keep my R session running and update it
with the web controls.
It is unfeasible for each call to R using StatConnectorClass being initialised
from an empty R session.

One method of doing this is to define a static StatConnector class in C# see
for example: <http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread49952.html>
but I certainly don't think this would be a recommended approach!
Alternatively I could store the instance of the StatConnectorClass to a server
side "Application Object" or "Session object"
see for example: <http://www.csharphelp.com/archives/archive207.html> (I have
yet to test this approach).

Can anyone perhaps suggest another better approach?

Looking forward to hearing your views and experiences.

Regards,

Wayne Jones
Statistical Consultant
Shell Global Solutions (UK)
Shell Technology Centre Thornton, P.O. Box 1, Chester CH1 3SH, United Kingdom

Tel: +44 (0) 151 373 5977
Fax: +44 (0) 151 373 5384
Mobile: +44 (0) 7896 536026
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Internet: www.shell.com/globalsolutions/statisticsandchemometrics

Shell Global Solutions (UK) is a division of Shell Research Limited which has
its Registered Office at Shell Centre, London SE1 7NA and is registered in
England & Wales with No.539964.