It makes perfect sense to me.

I know exactly what you want to do, it's just a question of how.  I
think what you'd need is a circle of metal all the way around for each
connection you want to make, and then some kind of electrically
connected wheel that rides on these.  You'd actually want 3 wheels on
each.  With careful measuring etc, it can be done, but to be honest,

I've never head an issue with twisted wires yet, but go for it if you
want to.  It'd be nice to see it working!

Chris