Thomas Lum wrote:
> Best way to control this linear actuator?
> It has built in limit switches and a built in potentiometer.
 >
> http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2009021006243189&item=5-1577-4&catname=
 >
> Could I use a speed controller and self centering joystick or is there a
> better method that utilizes the potentiometer?
> I want to use it for a gun elevate.

Do you really need an actuator capable of lifting 100+ pounds for your
elevate mechanism?  Seems like overkill to me.

But, to answer your questions:

1) You don't need a speed controller, just some on-off switches, to
create a "latched" elevate mechanism.  Push joystick to go in either
direction, let go to have it stay in that position.  (This is how most
motor-based elevate mechanisms work).

2) You could utilize the pot using a microcontroller to turn the
actuator into a powerful "proportional" elevate mechanism.  In that
case, when you move the joystick the actuator will move to the same
relative position.  However, given the size of the mechanism there will
probably be a perceptible delay to get from one spot to another, which
will make it difficult to use effectively.

Personally, I prefer to go with a simpler "geared motor" solution using
small, but powerful 6 RPM geared motors with a lifting arm and two limit
switches.  Smaller, cheaper ($10) and extremely robust.  Both the
Navaronne and Tiger have been using such an approach for years without a
failure.

BTW: Within the next month, I hope to have some prototypes built for a
new circuit board that is specifically designed to control such
mechanisms (elevate, rotate, fire control).  More details to follow.

        Frank P.