From: whitney james [mailto:me1y...@hotmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 24, 2009 8:06 AM
To: rctankcombat@googlegroups.com
Subject: [TANKS] Complete Newbie...

Hey all!
Been a lurker here for more years than my pride would allow me to admit, but
I'm finally taking the plunge and beginning a build.
To start off with, the site is about tanks. That much is obvious. However,
I've seen a couple armored cars there, and I think that is where my interest
lies. And so, I present the B1 Centuaro. It's got a nice bulky body to fit
all those moving bit's that make it do cool things, as well as nice sloped
armor that will (in theory anyway) make up for a relatively weak armor
rating (25mm up front: upgradable to 30mm). However, it does come with a
105mm main gun, so that puts us into Tank Destroyer territory. (evil little
grin)

http://www.sbmodels.net/images/New_From/ModelVictoria/MV002/images/MV0002.jp

  <file:///C:\DOCUME~1\njames\LOCALS~1\Temp\moz-screenshot.png>
<file:///C:\DOCUME~1\njames\LOCALS~1\Temp\moz-screenshot-1.png>

Yup: it's wheeled. I don't know why, but in a place beyond all reason, I
find a wheeled vehicle vastly easier to engineer than a tracked one. I know:
I have issues. Still, what do you do?

Anyway. The site has made the comment that RC car parts simply do not stand
up to the strains demanded of them in this sport. Well, being a complete
idiot, I threw that advice out in favor of RC parts.

My basic plan is to scrounge Evil-Bay and dredge up some Nitro RC
monstertruck parts, and build my driveline/suspension system from that.

The vast bulk will be taken from the Traxxas company, as they seems of a
fairly reputable sort, and their T-Maxx and Revo trucks are both everywhere,
and as any number of UTube videos will document, are nearly indestructible.
I figure anything designed to leap 12 feet in the air, fly 25 horizontal
feet, land on it's head, and keep going is probably fairly tough.
Additionally, parts can be had for fairly cheap, so there you go.

As the B1 has 4 sets of wheels, I'll need parts from 2 RC monster trucks. I
considered merely buying two of them, stripping what I need and
Craigslisting/E-baying the rest of the bits off, but at ~$200 a pop, that
was a bit too much of an initial investment. I'm on a bit of a budget here,
as my better (and wiser) half has authorized around $20 a month to be put
into this thing so that option was out. As mentioned, I've taken the plunge
and purchased (won) 3 bulkheads (mounts for the swing arms: 2 rear, and 1
front), some swing arm pins (enough for 2 axles), and (hopefully) a set of
A-Arms (2 axles worth). Assuming I am correct: that their description of a
"complete set" of A-Arms included 4 upper, and 4 lower, I will be in
possession of the above mentioned pieces for the grand total of $35.85. This
is about half my suspension system.

"How to get the power to the wheels?" you might ask. Again, the commercial
market comes to the rescue. I've seen differentials for the Traxxas Revo 3.3
going for around $10 plus shipping. Considering it costs 6 times that to
build one from your local hobby shop, that's on the menu for next month.

In total, I'll need 6 (to be spread over a couple months, obviously): 2 for
the front and rear most differentials, and 4 to be cannibalized into 2
through differentials for the two middle axles.

Now: Most of the tanks I've seen built on the website (Yes, I've looked
through every page of every single one) don't seem to take weight into
account: building with materials such as solid plywood and steel. Note: I
said "most". (little winky emoticon)

My goal will be to build as lightly as possible: hence the commercial nylon
parts (and my lack of fabrication skills.). My assumption is (and yes: this
may end up making an a** out of me) is that the lighter the vehicle, the
less power will be required to move it. Also, as I only will have need of 1
power source. well, my logic falls apart there, but it seems like those two
things should be complimentary. Less power requirements means less battery
requirements means less weight means less power requirements means less
battery. you get the idea.

As a power source (remember, we're going for CHEAP quality here) I'm
planning on the tried and true drill motor setup. I've seen them tried on
tanks, but the complains are that they just don't have the power. An issue I
hope to address with light weight. My plan is to find a trashed 18~24 volt
variable speed cordless drill (preferably with a 2 speed planetary
transmission) at some pawn shop or other place where such things are found.
This way, I buy a second cheap replacement trigger, a couple light springs,
and I'll have a reversible, variable speed vehicle. This idea currently
exists only as an idea in my head, so we'll see how it works out in
practice. Fortunately, many have said I have a very imaginative mind, so
maybe I haven't botched everything before it's even begun. J

Regardless, that's the plan anyway: what do you all think?

(as to criticisms: please refrain from throwing overly heavy or sharp and
point objects as I have a rather soft head.)

  _____

<http://www.bing.com/search?q=restaurants&form=MFESRP&publ=WLHMTAG&crea=TEXT
_MFESRP_Local_MapsMenu_Resturants_1x1>