Thanks Paul!
Yup, I'm well aware of the tire size issue, and I've thought a lot about it.
I figured I could either go with lawn mower tires (hard plastic, and a very
harsh ride even with fully independent suspension as well as the difficulty of
adapting to an RC driveline), some relatively expensive (and heavy) steel
hubbed semi-pneumatic tires (and add a LOT of strain to the driveline due to
their weight), or... (drum roll please)
I found a niche RC market that has just what I was looking for: RC rock
crawling.
They have tires from as small as you want, all the way up to 10 inch monsters.
For the purposes of scale, I think I'm going to go with RC4WD's 4.0 Rock
Crushers. They're 8.26 inches outer diameter, and a pretty close approximation
of the Michelin XZL: a common APC tire.

http://www.rc4wdstore.com/2/product_info.php?cPath=18&products_id=430

They're also fairly soft, as they're made for rock crawling: lending themselves
to a softer ride and less impact on the frame (mixed with the suspension).
On the down side...
If you looked at the link I posted above, they're about $40 a pair. (Yea Gods!
I can't believe I think I'm going to get away with that!!!). So, we're looking
at around $120 just to put shoes on my beggar; but they are also admittedly the
only stupidly expensive part of the build (as far as my simple brain has
calculated anyway...)

As to hard hits: I'm fully aware of it. As an ex-avid paint-baller, I've got
the scars to show it. (big toothy grin)
And so, I'm planning on building the basic framework of the monstrosity out of
steel brakeline, brazed at the joints: probably something in the 3/4 inch
range. I found a place locally that will sell 72 inches pieces of the stuff for
$4 a length. I figure ~$25 for a cheap Home Depot brazing kit, and I should be
able to patch together a rock crawler/baja rally style tube frame over a couple
months for not too much. I get the light weight rigidity from a tube frame,
plus the ease of repair as its been brazed together.
>From there, I tack on some washers on the corners, and it's a simple matter of
>bolting on the plate sheet metal (or fiber glass/newspaper-woodglue mache?)
>skin. If we go the woodglue/newspaper route (which was an absolutely BRILLIANT
>idea, if you're out there), and it proves not strong enough to hold up, I
>simply unbolt (or cut it off), and redo with a layer of the thinnest plywood I
>can find to add tensile strength.

And I'm well aware of the disadvantage I'd be at given it's an armored car.
Secretly, deep down, I'm hoping the light weight will give me a speed
advantage. Soft tires, fully sprung suspension, and an AWD drive line should
give me some impressive cross-country performance. I'm working off guestimates
here, but some of the larger electric monster trucks have to speeds of 40+ mph.
Granted, that is a MUCH lighter vehicle than I have planned, and that is going
to only give a run time of maybe 10~15 minutes. But it does show what is
possible. I figure if I can get a top speed in the high teens through gearing,
and a higher torque motor than they run, mixed with 4~5 times as much battery
capacity, I should be sitting well when it comes to the "Run Away!" part of the
battle.

After all: I'll be in it to have fun, and drive a cool AFV. I'm in it for the
fun: not to be the baddest tank killer on the field.