My apologies if I'm clogging up the system.

I'll get them up as soon as I receive the parts. :)
Evidently, the first series of my various bits were shipped out today. For now,
I'm trying to decide on the base-plate (the skid plates in the original rc
trucks): I'm thinking steel, but aluminum may work as well...

You bring up the point of weight. I wholeheartedly agree, and fully anticipate
that I will most likely not be able to use standard hobby suspension. (I may, I
just need to do some experimenting down at the hobby shop...)  The parts I'm
using from the RC trucks are the major moving pieces: a arms, a-arm mounts,
differentials (which do use hardened steel gears and sealed bearings, by the
way).
As to the practical strength of the parts: they are nylon rather than plastic,
and are built not only to be "just strong enough" but to take a serious beating
as well.

Meh, we'll see when I get my hands on them in a few day. If others are
interested, I'll try my best to give a fair review of their suitability. If
they do turn out to be utterly worthless... I'm only $40 into it thus far, and
have no fear of throwing it away (well... selling them off on ebay...) and
starting again with tougher stuff.

I already have a marker (and older spyder from my run-around-and-get-shot
days), as well as two CO2 tanks. Not nearly enough, but it does give me an idea
of weight.

Batteries: I've tried to do some reading up, and there is a whole series of
opinions on that matter. Lead-Acid vs NiCad vs LiPo, etc. Cost vs power vs
size, vs... Yea, I'm looking into options...

Scale...
Yup, that's the one constant I've noticed about you guys: scale is a relative
term. (hastily adds:) With full respect, of course. I meant more in my build. I
like the idea of keeping things not only looking accurate, but working
accurately as well. Hence the fully independent suspension rather than simply
bolting 4 axles to a frame. (there are practical considerations as well...)

Thanks again for the input, and as always: if I'm totally out to lunch, feel
free to throw objects. (just nothing that would hurt too bad. :)

James