The only practical solution for actually steering a car involves the use of a strong servo/motor combination, a so-called "jumbo servo", that returns to center when you let go of the joystick. You can find at least one commercial kit to build the electronics from Oatley. There are also a number of articles on the Internet that explain how to re-purpose a standard servo to drive a large motor.

        Frank P.