You can certainly rig a motor to move the steering rod, but the hard part is getting it to move proportionally with the joystick and, more importantly, return to center when you let go of the joystick. That's what the jumbo servo circuit did, but it was old technology and they apparently haven't upgraded the design.

One of the things on my "electronics to-do list" is to design such a circuit using modern parts. But, since tank-style steering for wheeled vehicles is a simpler, cheaper and more reliable solution, I don't think it will ever rise to the top of my list.

My advice: Give simple on-off steering a chance before spending time on something more complicated. Even if you've already built the steering linkages, just bolt them in place and steer using the motors. If you want to add real steering later, un-bold the linkages and install a steering motor.

        Frank P.