The door lock actuator probably failed because it was powered too long. It
consists of a simple motor that moves in one direction to move the control
arm. When it reaches the far end, in a fraction of a second, the motor
simply stalls and keeps pulling current until the voltage is turned off. If
it pulls current for too long, it will heat up enough to break the small
motor winding wire.  Ask John all about it. He was the first person in the
hobby to fry one ☺
When using a manual fire button, the button stays pressed for a lot longer
than is required. So, you should always just tap the button, not press and
hold. After the battle, I'll build a circuit for you that activates the
actuator for 100 milliseconds, regardless of how long the button is
pressed. We've been using that approach with door lock actuators ever since
John blazed the trail and we haven't lost one since.