Derek's experience is the rule, not the exception.

Based on my experience (which goes back to the original dual-chain bicycle track) and the collective experience of everyone who has built, tested and battled such designs in the last 15 years, the dual-chain design is far more problematic than either a single-chain design or a link-drive design. Lateral forces on the track immediately cause the chains to skew, which increases the likelihood of jumping one of the chains off a sprocket tooth in rough terrain. Guide horns help decrease the likelihood, but doesn't decrease it enough to make the tracks reliable enough in our world (which is, by far, the toughest test of scale tracks).

When it comes to chain designs, size matters. Based on quite a few people who have tried such an approach over the years, #40 chain is too small and not rigid enough to be used as either a single-chain or dual-chain track design in our operating scale and terrain. On the other hand, #60 chain is so rigid that it has proven very reliable when used in a single-chain design, thereby eliminating the need for a dual-chain design.

That said, the design being discussed is the first time someone has used pins that go from one side of the track to the other, using the track pad itself to keep the pins parallel. This *could* provide the rigidity needed to prevent chain skew in a hard turn, thereby preventing a dreaded derailment. I say *could* because it all comes down to the stiffness of the plastic pads and the amount of sideways movement allowed between the pads and the pins. No amount of calculation or workbench testing will provide the required answers. The track needs to be installed on a tank chassis and driven through the roughest terrain possible by an operator skilled in abusing vehicles to determine if the design is reliable or not.

Battlefield-tested isn't a marketing slogan.