I don't think I've heard or seen anyone using 2040 chain for tracks, so not really sure how well or not that design would work.

Back in the early days of the hobby, Mike Blattau used #40 attachment links with riveted plastic track pads to build a track for a lightweight vehicle. He used a single chain for each track, with standard #40 drive and idler sprockets. Unfortunately, he never tested the completed vehicle in battlefield conditions, so we can't be sure how well it performed. My conjecture is that the track would have been reliable with the proper tension on fixed axles with double road wheels. A suspension system starts to complicate things and I'm not sure if the #40 sprocket teeth alone would keep the track from coming off in a hard, bumpy turn.

Welding pads to a 2040 link would be roughly the same design, so my best guess is that the track would work fine on fixed axles and would be questionable on a suspension system.

In general, the main concern when using chains as a track drive mechanism is to ensure that the chain is well-aligned even when turning. Large links like #2060 are so stiff that they don't need any road wheels at all to stay aligned (Will's SU100 runs around quite well with missing road wheels). Smaller #40 links, however, have enough lateral flexibility that the road wheels need to keep them aligned. On fixed axles, the proper track tension with dual road wheels usually works effectively to keep the chains aligned with the sprockets (which is why most heavy tracked vehicles use fixed axles). On suspended axles, track tension varies dynamically, so the road wheels alone are needed to keep the chain aligned. Unfortunately, #40 chain links aren't really tall enough or have the right cross-section to do the job properly. The addition of guide teeth can solve the problem, but now the "simplicity" of the chain design is lost. Tracks with two drive chains make the matter even worse, providing twice the probability of throwing a track.