The proposed system won't work because the abbreviation "[1800s]" is used both
for 1800-1809 and for 1800-1899.

Do users of catalogue data really not understand the present system (180- for
the former, and 18-- for the latter)?  It seems a beautifully neat method to me.

I would like to suggest that an attempt should be made to render any date that
can currently be encoded in MARC, CCO, VRA, etc., bearing in mind the
commendable intent of RDA to work with other standards.  This is in support of
Adam Schiff's comments along the same lines (6 January, thread [RDA-L] Comments
on 2.7-2.9).  The loss of the "between" dates would indeed be culpable, as they
are available in e.g. CCO (in the form "ca. 1505-ca. 1510").

It would be good to have in 2.9.1.3 an example with a precise date as permitted
under 1.6.2. e.g.

[2005 February 21]

There should also be such an example in 2.9.0.3 (as an option when the exact
date is in the resource).

There needs to be some way of representing the present formula "[17-5]" used
when a digit of the date is missing, equivalent to MARC 008 "s17u5". Or is it
there and I've missed it? Does that count as "date in the resource" or as "date
not in the resource"?

If the above are put into place, then "date unknown" ceases to be necessary.
In years of cataloguing works from the 15th to the 21st century, I've never
felt the need of it. The example given in the RDA draft is a resource "probably
published in the late 1800s or early 1900s".  Owing to the ambiguity of that
formulation as between decades and centuries, as noted in the first sentence of
this message, this could be represented as either "[between 18-- and 19--]" or
"[between 180- and 190-]".  But "date unknown" might mean it was published in
1550!

However, if a form of words equivalent to "date unknown" is retained for use,
the wording "no date", "date unstated", or "date not given" would be
preferable, as "unknown" and "undated" have the problems stated in my earlier
message of today.

William Schupbach
Wellcome Library, 210 Euston Road, London NW1 2BE, England
E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Catalogue: http://catalogue.wellcome.ac.uk/search/X
[British registered charity no. 210183]