I think the thing to bear in mind is that "access point" is one of five
possible ways for recording relationships, and that whether a given data
string is treated as a citation or an access point is a local system
implementation decision.  RDA in this instance can be said to be simply
recognizing existing practice, where linking entries in MARC 21 records
are treated by some systems as citations and by others as access points,
regardless of whether they are defined as such in the catalog code.
While MARC 21 does not define linking entries as access points, local
systems can--and frequently do--do whatever they want with the data in
those fields.

So I don't think this is something we need to worry about.  The
_identical_ relationship data in an RDA record will be treated by one
local system simply as a citation (with no indexing) and by another as
an access point (with indexing).  RDA does not compel you to treat the
data one way or the other (though obviously a citation recorded as an
ISBD bibliographic description will not lend itself to use as an access
point).

Ed Jones
National University (San Diego)