Adam:

I think this is a good suggestion for moving forward, even though I
firmly believe that text-based citation should be the last choice,
and only when more direct links are impossible.

It mystifies me why there seems to be so much resistance to the idea
of providing direct links to either the related item or information
about the item without requiring the user to take extra steps to
"look up" the information about the related item (which is what we do
when we insist on textual citations).  In a world where article
references are linked via OpenURL and the MARC record includes more
and more opportunities to encode such links, I'm missing the reasons
for the reluctance.

Lest we forget, at present most textual notes citing related works,
no matter how carefully crafted, are not even seen by users, as our
OPACS almost uniformly default to brief records when displaying
information to users. One benefit of links is the potential to allow
linked materials to be clearly identified and displayed differently
than notes, in ways that could be better integrated into user
displays.

Diane

Here's a suggestion to the JSC for resolving the conflicting opinions
regarding the best way to form citations (and consequently, of selecting
primary access points).

Assuming that the JSC decides to keep the concept of primary access point
(which some, such as Diane Hillman, have argued against), I suggest that
the JSC form a task group to look at the instructions found in standard
general (e.g. Turabian, Kate L. A Manual for Writers of Term Papers,
Theses, and Dissertations) and discipline-specific (e.g., Modern Language
Association, American Psychological Association) reference sources for
constructing bibliographies and then make a recommendation on a preferred
citation style for RDA.

IFLA has a website with links to many online style guides:
http://www.ifla.org/I/training/citation/citing.htm

Dartmouth College has what looks to be an excellent guide as well:
http://www.dartmouth.edu/~sources/

Adam

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Adam L. Schiff