I don't understand. Are you saying you think the title

"Twelfth night, or, What you will"

should file as

"Twelfth night What you will"?

I thought that would be the effect of enclosing "or" in the new
nonfiling characters--"or" would just drop out. That is why I was
suggesting we don't in fact want the system to skip over it in filing. I
wasn't arguing against a different subfield technique for isolating the
alternative title. I just don't think the nonfiling character technique
is the right one.

Bob

Robert L. Maxwell
Special Collections and Ancient Languages Catalog Librarian
Genre/Form Authorities Librarian
6728 Harold B. Lee Library
Brigham Young University
Provo, UT 84602